Last week, the White House confirmed that the president will once again meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to discuss denuclearization.
The meeting is supposed to take place before the end of next month, although an official date and location have not yet been established. Many suspect, however, that Hanoi, Vietnam will eventually be chosen.
South Korean diplomats are urging both nations to “deliver concrete results on denuclearization” rather than a series of grand photo-ops like the last summit.
Kim Jong-un has expressed interest in meeting with the U.S. president again, but has made it clear that sanctions cannot be on the table.
The North Korean leader threatened to resume nuclear activity if concessions on sanctions were not made.
The U.S. and North Korean governments have been at an impasse over the issue ever since a historic meeting took place last June during which both leaders pledged to work towards full denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Pyongyang this weekend to resurrect diplomatic relations, which had been stalling.
The discussions came quite soon after North and South Korean leaders announced that they were moving towards a mutual declaration to the end of the Korean War, which has technically been ongoing since 1950.
Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae-in met in Pyongyang last month, with both countries vowing to pursue complete denuclearization on the Korean peninsula.
The current Secretary of State has criticized his predecessor, John Kerry, for meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s main point of contention is that these meetings occurred after Kerry left office.
He has ridiculed Kerry’s decision, calling the whole affair “unseemly and unprecedented.”
A meeting with North Korean officials and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was called off over disagreements regarding the end of the Korean War.
North Korean officials reportedly sent a letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that read, “The U.S. is still not ready to meet [North Korean] expectations in terms of taking a step forward to sign a peace treaty.”
President Trump called off the meeting between the North Koreans and Pompeo after receiving the letter.
Although Secretary of State Mike Pompeo gave positive reports of his meeting with North Korean officials, the officials themselves tell a different story.
Pompeo returned to North Korea for another visit aimed at getting the process of denuclearization underway, and while he said that things went well, his North Korean counterparts don’t seem to agree.
North Korea’s foreign ministry described the talks with Pompeo as “regrettable,” citing Pompeo’s demands for complete denuclearization.
North Korea is ramping up its nuclear production even as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo prepares to return for another meeting with Chairman Kim.
The president said Sunday that the historic agreement he and Chairman Kim signed last month may not “work out.”
His comments come as multiple news outlets have reported that North Korea is expanding a ballistic missile site and has increased production of enriched uranium.
The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) has upheld the president’s highly controversial order banning entry to the U.S. to people from several Muslim-majority countries.
A country founded by a people fleeing religious persecution, built on the principles of separation of church and state as well as on the backs of immigrant laborers, has chosen to shut its doors to entire nations of people.
The vast majority of people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, and Yemen will now be denied entry to the United States, as well as people from North Korea and government officials from Venezuela.
The U.S. president and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un met in person for the first time today to discuss denuclearization and a return to peaceful relations on the Korean peninsula.
The summit marks the first ever time that the acting leaders of both countries have met in person.
The leaders reportedly met in private, accompanied only by their interpreters, for roughly two hours.
North Korean official Kim Yong Chol arrived at the White House Friday to deliver a letter from leader Kim Jong-un to the president of the United States in response to the cancellation of the June 12 summit in Singapore.
On May 24, the U.S. president sent the North Korean leader a letter that called for the cancellation of the planned summit between the two countries which was set to take place June 12 in Singapore.
Friday, former spy leader Kim Yong Chol delivered a response to the U.S. president which reportedly requested that the two countries move forward with the meeting.
In response, the president of the U.S. declared that the meeting is officially back on.